Sunday, May 07, 2006

Happy Blogiversary to me!

I've just realised that it is my blog anniversary. Yes, it's one whole year since I started to bore you with knitting, knitting and yet more knitting.

There have been highs and lows but I'd just like to thank all of you who have been bothered to read what I witter about. I know where most of you are (but not all, so stick a pin in that map in the sidebar, would you?) and I know who many of you are (but not all, so leave a comment why don't you?)

Obviously, I have returned from Italy and we have had a lovely time. Sorrento is delightful and perfectly situated for visiting various places. Capri - beautiful and very expensive; Naples - totally chaotic, the noisiest place on earth though the people were lovely; Pompei - huge, crowded and incredible; Herculaneum - small, intimate, very well preserved.

I didn't manage to buy any yarn in Naples, though I had several addresses. It was just too busy and I didn't really feel I could drag mother on and off buses all over the city.

I did, however, find a sweet little yarn shop in Sorrento itself. Here is the outside:

Just one small window set into the marble facade of the shop. Not a great deal of yarn on display but maybe there would be more inside?

Yes, there was more inside. Mostly novelty stuff - eyelash, thick and thin, shiny, though there was a little plain cotton. But then you know my view of cotton - it's the work of the evil one.

Yes, I did buy some yarn but due to constant picture taking while we were away, all the batteries of the camera are flat. They are charging at the moment and so will be ready for action tomorrow, when I will reveal both what I bought and what I am thinking of making with it.

I leave you with a picture of a mosaic floor in Pompei - if I am not much mistaken, this is the tumbling blocks pattern, as used in patchwork quiltmaking. And didn't Kaffe Fassett design a jumper with this pattern?

Which all goes to show - There's nothing new under the sun.

 Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

MissLucy said...

Happy blogiversary!! Yours has become one of my favorite blogs! It is indeed fascinating to see how the same patterns and symbols that appear in knitting are actually ancient and universal. I just read(another) book about the origins of traditional knitting patters (Norwegian,Latvian,aran and fair isle) and it seems that all the symbols and patterns can be found in ancient oriental, Greek, Roman art and architecture.

Daisy said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Mary-Lou said...

Many Happy Returns!

TutleyMutley said...

Happy Blogiversary as was - the tumbling blocks design appeared on an old welsh woollen/woven counterpane my grandma had - I used to be fascinated by it...

I'll certainly drop by more often to read your blog (as time allows - I should be working!) - it's an entertaining read!