Thursday, October 22, 2009

Buying Yarn

In spite of the fact that there is enough yarn in the house to start a modest shop, I just keep on buying it. I do know I'm not the only one with this problem. I try to be good - only buying for specific projects - but I just can't help myself.

This:



is a case in point. Six balls of Rowan Denim Cotton found in the "boutique" for a song. Cotton? You know what I think about cotton (the devil's work) but yet I still bought it. What is wrong with me?

I also bought 400g of Twilley's Freedom Spirit (well, that's what the label on the bag said, as you see, there are no ball bands):



Again, I have no idea why but I quite like the colours, and it's sure to come in for something.
I feel a felted bag coming on.

I got three balls of Stylecraft "Alpine" (98% wool, 2% nylon) because I want to make a scarf of some sort:



To that end I have been trawling Ravelry for free scarf patterns. I think I have it narrowed down to the Dragon Scarf, Krtek or Tree Bark. Any advice?

I told you in the last post that I have acquired three new jobs, all to do with knitting. The first is test knitting/proof-reading baby patterns for a UK-based designer. It's all very hush-hush because the garments/patterns are not yet published, so you won't suddenly be seeing a rash of baby clothes.

The second job is really most exciting. Many of you will know that Jo Watson, who organised the UK Ravelry Day in Coventry in June, is organising UK KnitCamp 2010 at Stirling University next August. Jo has offered me the grand-sounding post of "Operations Manager" and, naturally, I snapped her hand off. I am to be in charge of maintaining class lists; assigning classroom assistants and generally making sure that things run smoothly. The best bit? I'm going to be Nancy Bush's personal assistant. How cool is that?

The third job is a spin-off from the second - I'm helping to moderate the UK Knit Camp group on Ravelry (along with the lovely Pat Ashforth of Woolly Thoughts fame).

One last thing, (this is where we get to the actual knitting part) I made this:



to wear in the run-up to Remembrance Day. I had downloaded the poppy pattern from Knitonthenet (£2 donation to the Poppy Appeal) but then I found this one on the Lion Brand website (you have to register to access the pattern but it is free) and I think I prefer it. 'Im indoors took one look and said, "You can knit me one of those." There are more poppies in my future.

No comments: