Saturday, June 06, 2015

One Thing Leads to Another

If 'im indoors wants a sock, I'll have to have more sock yarn.  (This is what I tell him.  There is, in fact, enough sock yarn in the house to insulate a small igloo.)  I tell him to get over to the Wool Warehouse, where they happen to have a sale, and choose his colour/s.

This is what he chose:


and I decided that he ought to have more socks (which, of course, equals more yarn).  So I chose this for him:


- not too different from his choice - we don't want to frighten the horses.

But, as noted above, one thing really does lead to another:



I just got a few extra things - there was a sale, after all.

All credit to the Wool Warehouse - the bag of swag arrived the day after I ordered it, beautifully packaged.

Apart from his lordship's sock yarn, I also got a few balls of plain sock yarn for me.  I want to make some of the fancy socks from Cookie A's Sock Innovation.  There is a great review of the book on the WEBS blog.  You need to scroll down a bit, past all the waffle.  Sadly, all the socks are top down, so not ideal for me.  However, there is very good section on sock design, including pattern placement, which I think will be a massive help if I want to adapt the patterns to make them toe-up.

Best yarn of all is lace weight yarn - skinny (technical term) yarn, skinny (tt) needles = right up my street.  I couldn't help myself:


I've been wanting to make "Frost, flowers and leaves" from "A Gathering of Lace" for ages and this yarn looks like just the ticket.  The original yarn was Shetland lace weight and required 16 skeins at 205m each, a total of 3,280 metres (which seems like an awful lot).  Anyway, this Drops lace has 800m/100g, so I ordered 5.  I don't want to be running out of yarn with three inches of the border to go. 

Kate being Kate, I started to research the pattern.  I looked at Ravelry, the errata from the original book (which aren't needed because my copy already has the corrections) and various blogs.  One blog I came across has a very detailed description of all you would ever need to know.  Imagine my surprise when she came to talking about attaching the edging:
I wish I could find the blog on which I found UPDATE: Check out this great post from Knit the Knits, which has photos of the edging technique – basically you take your dpns and some waste yarn and work an entire chart repeat, then use that “sample” repeat as a base for starting to attach the edging to the live stitches that make up the body of the shawl.
She actually links to one of my own posts!  I feel like I'm that kid who's holding a book with a picture of herself on the cover, holding a book with a picture of herself on the cover, holding a book... you get the idea.

And yes, I have started "triple F" and the sock for 'im indoors but all that will have to wait until the next post, when there will be actual knitting content.

I leave you with the Saturday back field, on a Saturday for a change:



No comments: