Sunday, July 09, 2006

Dental Floss

First, housekeeping. It has come to my attention that you couldn't see the picture of the cone of silk. (Thanks, MA for alerting me!). That was Blogger playing tricks again. I hope the problem is now solved and you can all see the yarn in its glory.

Second, I sent off the Garden Shawl to my knitbud in PA. I handed it over in the Post Office in Shipston on Tuesday. I felt like I was seeing #1 daughter off to school for the first time. I walked back to the car and drove home and I felt completely bereft. It was totally heart-wrenching. Not because of "letting go", oh, no; just because I wasn't quite sure that it would ever see the light of day again. I sort of trust the Royal Mail and I sort of trust the US Postal Service (I mean, Lance Armstrong rode for them - what's not to trust?) but yet...There is always a doubt in the dark recesses of the mind. However, all is well. I have received communication to the effect that the Garden Shawl has arrived at its destination, which means I can show you what went into the parcel as a surprise gift.

NB Non-knitting content follows (if you are a purist, look away now)



I made a little bag at my stitching class. You know, the one with the teacher who said, "Just start, Kate!"

That's the front there. Here's the back:



This is a type of embroidery called "Wessex Stitching", invented in the Victorian era by a Mrs M Foster of Bath and researched and written about by Gay Eaton in her book.

I can't now remember what possessed me to work this bag, on linen, and with very skinny thread (and I am talking very, very skinny here) but I did it and I wonder at myself.

Here's a close-up of the front:



and the back:



When I showed it to "'im indoors" he said, "Lovely, what's it for?" I showed it to his brother and he said exactly the same thing. Which is why they are brothers, I suppose.

The writing round the outside? It's a quote from St Francis of Assisi:

He who works with his hands is a labourer,
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman,
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

The knitting? There's been some:



That's the dental floss of the title.

Here's a close-up (less flossy):



It hasn't gone wrong yet but I know it's only a matter of time.

2 comments:

allisonmariecat said...

The embroidery is stunning. I managed to do some counted cross stitch at one point, but I can't imagine something that intricate and fiddly (technical term). It's absolutely beautiful.

"What's it for?" I love it! I mentioned something to my husband about making knitted Christmas ornaments for aunts and uncles this year, and he said, "Oh, I didn't know you could knit those" in a mystified tone that implied, "Oh, I didn't know anyone would want to knit those."

littlelixie said...

Beautiful bag. I'm never going to be a lace knitter (although I joined that group to lobby burda you mentioned because I figure knitting is knitting). Looking at your WIP with all this spindly threads everywhere makes my skin crawl. It is experiences such as these that make you so impressive!