Wednesday, January 19, 2011

More Socks

As I said, there have been a lot of socks:



These are some for 'im indoors. I used the Gull Wing pattern out of Chrissy Gardiner's "Toe Up" and made the hybrid heel, increasing the gusset stitches to accommodate his high instep. They fit very well.

Close up of the pattern:



All these socks did have a tendency to induce the dreaded second sock syndrome until I had a brainwave - why not knit the socks in pairs. (Yes, I know we normally knit socks in pairs - bear with me.)

What I really mean is knit the socks two pairs at a time. So we knit sock one of pair one; sock one of pair two; sock two of pair one and finally, sock two of pair two. It's like starting a new pair every time - no second sock syndrome.

My first "pair" of socks knitted after this fashion:



and


Can you tell what it is yet?

The first is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Buck's Bar colourway. I had such trouble choosing a pattern for this yarn. I started "Spina di Pesce" by Yarnissima - useless. Lovely pattern, just not right for this yarn.



Frog.

I started the "Switcheroo Socks" from "Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn". I not only started them, I finished the first sock. It just wasn't right and I knew it wasn't right from a very early stage but I just kept knitting. Maybe I was thinking it would suddenly transform itself into a delightful sock in the night time. It didn't.



Frog.

I finally settled on "Skew" - I've knitted a pair before, and though they look plain, there is actually just enough action to keep one interested.

Toe:



Heel:



Very ingenious construction - I still don't really know quite how the magic happens.

I then embarked on sock one of pair two:



"Route 66 " from Stephanie Van Der Linden's lovely "Around the World in Knitted Socks". I've knitted several of Stephanie's pattern's before and always liked them, so this book was my little gift to myself. I even went to the extent of ordering yarn (as if there weren't enough in the house already) to make several other pairs.

I've just started sock two of pair one and I'm not bored yet.

It hasn't all been socks - there have been other things but all that will have to wait - my sock is calling.

Many thanks to those who have commented - it's nice to know there are real people out there.

1 comment:

blueadt said...

Very nice socks!

I get around the problem of SSS by knitting a pair together at the same time on two 60 cm circulars. Then when I've finished the pattern, I've finished the pair! Also if I make a mistake it becomes a design feature and is on both so isn't a mistake....