Friday, June 03, 2005

Falling Out of Love

I am rapidly falling out of love with Emma King and her knitted bags. Don't get me wrong - the bags are beautiful; the patterns are well written; they are easy and quick; the yarn, Rowan for the most part, is freely available in my rural backwater BUT on the two occasions I have knitted a bag from this book I have run out of yarn!

I am not a great swatcher. Normally, I just cast on and give it a go. When it comes to a bag I'm even more cavalier - it's not like it has to fit anyone, is it? As long as I have a fabric that appeals I feel as if I'm good to go. However, over the years, I have learned that I am a loose knitter and often have to go down one or two needle sizes to get a suitable fabric. So for both of the abovementioned bags I started with a smaller needle size: in the case of the "Fancy" bag (Clare's "secret thing") I used 3.5mm needles, as opposed to the 4mm needles recommended. The second bag is "Cranberry", a chunky, textured and beaded bag using Rowan "Big Wool" in a bright pink. She says 10mm needles, I'm using 8mm needles. The gauge is spot on and I have still run out of yarn. I shall have to return to my LYS - can the plastic stand it??

I am still progressing on "Birch". I wanted to take some pictures of my progress and talk about paired decreases and how I have changed the pattern slightly and why I think my changes are for the better, but, though the camera has returned from Egypt, together with #1 son and #1 daughter, the batteries just died on me. Yes, I do have spares, and no, they weren't charged. I am new to this digital camera lark! They are charging now, so by tomorrow...

Therefore, I give you The Great Cosmos:



This is from a pattern by Sandy Terp at Moonrise Lace Knitting. It's done in Jaggerspun Zephyr, colour Iris and was great fun to do. It's a beautiful shape, beginning in the centre with a "more than circular" start, the centre section is worked outwards and then you "square the circle". I just love it.

Here it is laid on the (very long) grass:



I had to trample down the grass to get her to lie flat. When 'im indoors returned he thought there had been a herd of woolly mammoths in the garden, or maybe a crop circle had sprung up fully formed. He did, however, take out the lawn-mower the very next day. This is knitting as a behaviour modification tool.

Just to prove that the camera did go to Egypt, here is #1 daughter, looking very Egyptian, on the Nile:



I shan't bore you with the other 90 photographs that came back.

6 comments:

Daisy said...

Wow, the Great Cosmos looks amazing!

Heather said...

Love the Great Cosmos, beautiful lace and a lovely colour.

Commisserations on the lack of yarn for the bags, that is very annoying. I have just had the opposite with the hats I have been knitting, the pattern called for 120 - 130m and as the yarn I bought came in balls of 125m, being of nervous disposition I bought 2, and now have loads left over. You win some you lose some.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I absolutely adore, love, covet that shawl. I must have the pattern, time to search the web.

Anonymous said...

Okay I guess not so much a search, duh I saw the link. I think I'll be ordering.

PURLPOWER said...

I sympathise on the loose knitting front. I am also very loose and have to swatch to avoid running out of yarn. If I sub yarns I have to be really careful of the different yardage - Rowan seems to be a bit stingy on yardage compared to the US yarns that we can't get here? Possibly?
Am in awe of your beautiful shawl. Very impressive work.

FaeryCrafty said...

Love the shawl. Your lacework is always wonderful :)