Monday, June 13, 2005

If I were a pigeon

If I were a pigeon I would starve to death before I learned that I needed to peck the square (or whatever) to get food. I have made three bags out of Emma King's book. On the previous two occasions, I ran out of yarn. So why did I think it would be any different this time? In fact, it wasn't too big of a deal. I simply made the flower entirely out of Kidsilk Haze and didn't bother with the two rows of Cotton Glace. I don't think the knitting police will notice:



I'm not sure about the beads, but they were handy and I certainly wasn't going to buy more beads just for the centre of a flower. I ended up with about 18 inches of Cotton Glace remaining. In the interests of peace of mind, it might have been better to have another ball on hand, just in case.

Here's the whole bag, nestling in the marjoram:



and matching very nicely with those pink flowers (whatever they are).

As I said before, I don't really do sewing and I had toyed with the idea of using a provisional cast on, knitting in the round and then grafting the cast on closed. I decided against that because I thought the seams would add stability to the bag. I don't really know if that's true, as I've got nothing to compare it with, but I'm happy enough with the finished item.

The seams don't look too bad, anyway:



In fact, I don't think you can really tell they are there.

I have also finished another Buttonhole Bag using the Rowan Big Wool pictured on Friday. It is drying on the Rayburn as I write and there will be pictures tomorrow.

I find myself in a knitting hiatus. I've finished everything I wanted to finish and while there are oodles of WIPs none is calling out to me. I want to start some lace but I don't know what it is. Help!

Wendy has declared this the "Summer of Lace" and there is even a Yahoo group for same. I've got news for you, Wendy - it doesn't have to be summer for me to want to knit lace.

No comments: