Thursday, July 21, 2005

Silk Corset Progress

I started the corset. I just couldn't help myself. First dilemma: which cast on? You know me, read all about it before you actually do anything. I consulted Montse Stanley, who details over twenty cast-ons. Since the finishing of this corset requires a crochet edging I decided on the "Cast-off cast-on", popular in Japan it seems and looks just like the chain cast off:



So how many times do you count 149 stitches to be sure you really have 149 stitches? Once? Twice? In my case it was about four times because I kept getting a different number. I really have got to get a grip!

All the stitches are safely on the needle, the lace edging is done and I'm just ready to cast off for the armholes:



Arty-farty picture of corset lounging in the lavender bush.

I didn't make a necklace - I made a bracelet:



Arty-farty picture of hand, with bracelet, lounging on the basil plant.

I had to make one for #1 daughter - she wore it to school and it was much admired. I didn't bother with a loop and a button - I picked up the four loops from the cast on and did a three needle bind off. It's fine.

The postman was burdened with this little lot this morning:



Isn't it just to die for? I don't know why I bother knitting bracelets:



This is the yarn for the mystery shawl along. Ordered on Tuesday, arrived Thursday. Thanks to Gill at Woolly Workshop. It's lovely.

3 comments:

Emily said...

That yarn is gorgeous!!! Im going to be eagerly watching to see how gorgeous your shawl is as it progresses!

littlelixie said...

That yarn is certainly divine - you have such good taste. I am very tempted by the corset too. Will keep an eye on how yours progresses!

C x said...

Do you have any more info on how to work the cast off cast on? I'd really like to know how its done.